Fevers aren’t pleasant to experience, to say the least. Although they’re common with all viral infections, it doesn’t make them any less uncomfortable to deal with.
Luckily, though, there are some things you can do at home to ease your fever and bring down your body temperature. Read on as our team at AFC Urgent Care Gastonia share some further information about the flu and what you can do to break a fever below.
What Is the Flu?
The flu is caused by the influenza virus, which is an illness that attacks the respiratory system, including the lungs, nose and throat. The flu typically doesn’t cause serious complications, but older adults, young children, people with compromised immune systems and pregnant women are at a higher risk of developing serious complications.
Additionally, the flu is much more common during the winter months. We’ve listed some symptoms to be aware of below.
Common Flu Symptoms
- Aches and pains throughout the body
- Sore throat
- An extreme feeling of fatigue
- A persistent and worsening cough
- Stuffy or runny nose
Can I Treat a Flu Fever at Home?
It’s possible! Although a fever is your body’s response at fighting off harmful viruses, no one wants to experience one.
Since viruses like the flu don’t respond to antibiotics, they will need to run their course before you will feel back to normal. In the meantime, the remedies we’ve listed below can help treat a fever caused by the flu.
Ways to Treat a Viral Fever
- Stay in bed and get plenty of rest.
- Keep hydrated! Drinking lots of water, tea and diluted fruit juices can help to replenish lost fluids.
- Take OTC medications like acetaminophen and ibuprofen. Stick to the proper dosage on the bottle, and don’t them use alongside other fever-reducing medications.
- Stay cool. Remove extra layers of clothing and blankets, unless you have the chills.
Our AFC Urgent Care Gastonia team is here to help get you through flu season. We offer flu vaccines without an appointment, so don’t hesitate to stop by today to get yours!